We may feel that we are alone. It's human nature to comfort those in need of comfort. It is also human nature to avoid strangers who seemed depressed or down on our luck. I feel this is a bit of an oxymoron. But it happens. Like this picture, when we are sad our worries are like the sea, never ending and never seem to have a bottom. That if we to fully immerse ourselves in that worry we would never be able to get out.
To God, the worth of souls is great in the sight of God (D&C 18:10). In Heaven. a plan was presented saying that the children of God would go down to the Earth that had been created and experience all manner of experiences.He would also provide a Savior which would provide a way to return. Jesus Christ, our brother said, "Here am I send me!" I imagine we were excited but also afraid. We had lived with God for eons and being separated from his presence was frightening. Praying on that fear, Satan, the father of lies said that he would save everyone. That not a soul would be lost but his condition would that God's glory be given to him. Unfortunately, a third of the host of heaven followed him and consequently was thrust out. We can imagine how our Heavenly Father must have felt. He felt heartbroken when he had so much to give us. He must have loved each one of those children. But God has divine laws which he must keep and so sadly he had to cast them out. (Moses 4:2-4)
After this somber event the Lord proceeded with his Plan and the "noble and great ones" went down and created the Earth which we inhabit. In this Earth we are separated physically from God's presence. Thankfully we can pray for help. We can receive guidance, comfort and direction. But we are not home. In the song "O My Father" Eliza R. Snow puts it wonderfully, "You're a stranger here." In this test we endure we rent our mortal life here on Earth. It's difficult. Going back to what was expressed previously, when life gets tough we feel like we're drowning. That's where the Savior comes in.
When we, like Peter, when he walked on the water cried, "Lord save me!" He immediately grasped him and pulled him back of up to his feet. (Matt. 14:29-33) Later Jesus kindly said to Peter: "O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?" There are times in that moment of drowning we become scared. I don't think Jesus was angry at Peter for being scared, rather he was reminding him that because he was there next to him he would not be harmed. I'd like to think in my trials I am bruised, I am maimed but I am protected because my scars are reminders that God is there. Not once did God say that this life would be easy. But God did send a Savior and so we should use him more. Because Christ is our brother he should be our most trusted companion. True, he's not with us physically, but he understands. I once had the experience in one of my depressive moments that someone not there was giving me a warm hug and that it was going to be okay. I didn't see it then, but life became okay.
Again, yesterday in my pit of despair, my girlfriend Wendy comforted me and held me in her arms telling me it was going to be okay. I still feel that I'm swimming in that sea of worries but I'm not drowning and that's okay for one day I'm going to be pulled out when I cry, "Lord. save me!"
-Credit goes to 1. Lukas Rychvalsky and 2. Morgan Weistling for the beautiful pictures-


No comments:
Post a Comment